Thursday, March 15, 2007

Yes, yes, yes the school search is over!

We've been struggling to find a Pre School for Triston!

We always planed to put him in PS but only at 18 months that leaves us with another 3 months... but... our nanny received a very handsome job offer that pays more and has a lot more perks, I cant keep her back for 3 months when the people need her now, and Triston is showing all signs of readiness.

And so the hunt began, the PS where we had him on a waiting list was not willing to take him sooner ?!? We had to go and look at the other options in our area.

Oh the horror!! We saw a PS with toddler classes mixed with 6 month old babies. The classes where so full that at nap time some of the children have to sleep in the hallway. How can any one woman take care of 30 children ranging from 6 months too 24. Impossible!

I used to be a PS teacher and worked at one of these horror schools for about a year, my class comprised of children between 4 to 6 years and I had 52 children in my class the day I stoped working there. I really loved the kids, but couldn't stand looking at the abuse any more! (I did report them to no avail). The day I decided to leave was the day that one of the other teachers (15 years experience) locked an 18 month old toddler in a cubit because he was to scared to go too sleep on his first full day!!! I notified the parents but they never took him out, saying that it was the only PS they could afford. The police just shrugged and said that unless the parents lay a charge they can't do any thing!

Then we looked at day mothers, I went to look at 2, one seemed fine until I found out, from a friend, that she gives children paracetamol to keep them quite and feeds them dry bread if they don't eat the food she offers (scrambled eggs and sausage). the second day mother I just walked in. No security what so ever. I had a look around and saw a pool, not cove rd or fenced in, the play area was cramped and all jungle gyms where placed on cement! This observation took about 1 min and then I was out of there as fast as possible...


I started to getting depresed, we need to find a place for him in 2 weeks. Then I remembered a PS where a friend's child went. I knew it was a good school as the child was happy and showed no signs of abuse. I gave them a call and... Yes she had place for just one more toddler!!!

Triston starts Monday!

No comments: